The Detroit Food Policy Council is seeking a Program Manager to plan and implement the Council’s research and policy activities. This is a full time salaried position with flexible scheduling to accommodate required evening and weekend work.
Area of Focus: Food Systems Research and Policy, Land Use, Urban Agriculture, Economic and Community Development
Organizational Description: The Detroit Food Policy Council (DFPC) is an advisory, monitoring and implementation body that is committed to nurturing the development and maintenance of a food-secure City of Detroit in which all of its residents are hunger-free, healthy and benefit economically from the food system that impacts their lives.
Position Summary: The Research and Policy Manager of the DFPC reports to the DFPC Executive Director works in partnership with the Council to plan and implement the Council’s research and policy activities.
Compensation: This is a full time position with flexible scheduling to accommodate required evening and weekend work. This is a salaried position based on an average of 40 hours a week; benefits include paid holidays and vacation and an allowance towards reimbursement of health insurance costs.
Qualifications: The successful candidate will be familiar with land use, economic development and policy related to urban food systems. Candidates with familiarity with Detroit’s political, social and economic environment are preferred. S/he will possess excellent research, analysis, written and communications skills. S/he will have demonstrated leadership skills, be self-motivated and have the ability to work with a diverse array of partners including residents, neighborhood and community groups, research and policy experts and government officials. Bachelor’s degree in urban planning, public policy, economics or related field and five years professional experience.
Additional Desired Experience and Skills:
- Experience working with and leading volunteers from diverse communities.
- Strong organizational and written/verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Proficiency in all Office applications required.
- Passion for people and food justice issues in Detroit
- Experience in research, marketing and communications tools, including survey methods, website and social media tools.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as the staff liaison to the DFPC’s Research and Policy Committee which is currently reviewing the City’s Food Security Policy, developing a strategy for urban agriculture and land use tied.
- Responsible for research, planning, and managing the DFPC Food Report project from inception to publication.
- Participate on the team which is working to implement recommendations from the 2014 study of the economic impact of localizing the food system.
- Develop and implement strategies that facilitate community engagement in the DFPC’s research and policy initiatives.
- Work with other organizations to address policy issues related to food security and food system localization
- Work with the Executive Director and Education and Engagement Program Manager to develop and implement community and neighborhood focused education and outreach programs that education residents and help inform the Council’s priorities.
- Other duties as assigned.
Please send cover letter, resume, three references and a writing sample electronically to: firstname.lastname@example.org with DFPC Program Manager Application in the subject line or via mail to: Detroit Food Policy Council, Attention: Hiring Manager, 1420 Washington Blvd., Ste 230, Detroit, MI 48226. Only potential interviewees will be contacted. No phone calls please.
For more information about the Detroit Food Policy Council, please visit: www.detroitfoodpc.org
The Detroit Food Policy Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer.